Imagine you’re cruising in your car along the freeway and suddenly a rock flies up from under another vehicle’s tire and hits your windshield. In an instant, there’s a permanent crack on your windshield that distracts you for the rest of your trip. How inconvenient right?
But it often becomes very confusing whether to get a windshield replacement or repair when facing a crack. While it is easier to get assistance in big cities like Bangalore, Mumbai, New Delhi and Chennai, getting expert advice at the same time on car windshield replacement is a lot difficult. Therefore there are a certain steps you can take until you get a professional service for your windshield.
Immediate actions to take in case of a windshield crack:
- Schedule a convenient appointment for the car glass damage to be repaired or replaced
In a case where an entire piece of glass has been broken out of your car, try to protect your car’s interior from weather damage. If possible, park in a garage, or at least cover the opening with plastic or a tape.
For the situation where you need to determine the best option between a windshield repair or replacement, these factors would be helpful:-
- Size: Although there might be few exceptions, chips which are usually larger than 3/8 inch and the cracks that are more than three inches long generally require windshield replacement.
- Location: Cracks that occur at the edge of the windshield require replacement due to their tendency to spread across the glass. A repair often does not cure clearly, and leaves a slight outline in the repair area.
- Timespan: The longer you leave chips and cracks unattended, the more likely dirt will build up, making it difficult to perform a successful repair, and requiring a replacement.
However, windshield repair is an inexpensive alternative to windshield replacement because:
Windshield cracks that are longer than three inches indicate an immediate need for windshield replacement to protect the structural integrity of the car and the safety of its occupants.
- Convenience: Specialists typically perform windshield repairs in a short span of time.
- Insurance Advantages: Getting a windshield repair has economic advantages as many insurance companies will ignore your deductible and will pay for the windshield repair.
- Inexpensive: A windshield repair is far more economical than replacing the entire windshield.
- Environmentally Responsible: Repairing the windshield will keep the old glass out of a landfill, which will stay forever.
To properly repair a windshield, technicians first remove debris from the impacted area, and sometimes use a drill to create a clean area for the repair resin. After this a special resin is injected into the damaged area using a tool that attaches to the surface of the glass. After the injection, resin is cured and then polished to a clear finish.
While windshield repair has its advantages, windshield replacement can be equally important at some points:-
Timely windshield replacement is essential to the safety. According to windshield repair services, a windshield is important for the structural integrity and protects the vehicle in case of a rollover accident. A professional performs a series of regulated steps to ensure the proper replacement of windshields.
First, the windshield is removed extremely carefully to avoid damage to the paint and bonding surface that can cause leaks and corrosion. Only the windshield which matches the original equipment manufacturer quality is selected for installation. High quality and approved adhesives are applied to cars during the windshield replacement.
Do not let a broken glass slow you down for long and threaten the safety of your family. There are many specialised services in the country with the skills and experience necessary to determine your windshield replacement and repair needs. In metro cities like Mumbai it is easier to visit a specialized car glass repair or replacement shop in your nearby locality as there are ample of options.
For emergency situations there are service that provide convenient onsite windshield replacement and repair. These services give the same great windshield glass installation with the added convenience of coming to a location of your choice. To avail the services, contact any of our repair centres to directly arrange for an onsite car glass repair.
Image source: autoglassmartinsburg.com, boyerpickering.com
Content Source: Windshield Experts